Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Looking for Alaska by John Green


I don't know how to write a review on this kind of book. Well, yes it is a Young Adult but it is like a self-help, philosophical book. So I beg your forgiveness if this post will be much more like a personal understanding of the book's question than a review. :)

Before. Miles "Pudge" Halter is done with his safe life at home. His whole life has been one big non-event, and his obsession with famous last words has only made him crave "the Great Perhaps" even more (Francois Rabelais, poet). He heads off to the sometimes crazy and anything-but-boring world of Culver Creek Boarding School, and his life becomes the opposite of safe. Because down the hall is Alaska Young. The gorgeous, clever, funny, sexy, self-destructive, screwed up, and utterly fascinating Alaska Young. She is an event unto herself. She pulls Pudge into her world, launches him into the Great Perhaps, and steals his heart. Then. . . . After. Nothing is ever the same




Did I just say book's question? Oh yes, the question the book branded in the reader's mind is: "How do I get out of this labyrinth of suffering!" 


Well, the book is like the other YA books out there. They have the same young characters. Love issues. Her-eyes-attract-me stories. They only differ on the kind of message they want to pass to the readers.


The writing is great. I made some huge laughs at nights that my father will knock angrily on my door saying "Can you shut your big mouth up!" But the jokes were hilarious, how do I will shut my mouth? As I read through the story, I experienced culture shock. I was knew to the real American culture and how they differ from the Philippine culture. Believe me but I never had the desire to read so mature contents. Although I knew about those kind of uhs, but I don't explore further. So I'm a bit shocked on what I'm reading. 


So about the question. The labyrinth is the representation of man's pain. So how do we get rid of that? That is the question that the characters what to find out. Meanwhile, you are also finding out your own answer. 


For me, pain is the result of our own action. Decisions we made can sometimes bring suffering as an add-on to the package. Most times, I make decisions with little thinking; so mostly I need to accept the consequences it brings. I'm making my own labyrinth. Extending it further. I cannot bring back time to change my decisions so I will not experience suffering but I can stop the extension of my labyrinth. How? By making right choices and thinking what would be the consequences might be. By that kind of action, I can walk through the painful labyrinth today and walk with less pain in the future.


I told you I'm not good at reviewing these kinds of books :) Peace! 

2 comments:

  1. I think this was a great review, no need to worry or apologize! I haven't read the book yet, but I liked what it made you think about -- culture differences, choices, etc. Really well written review, and very thoughtful.

    Btw, we are four YA writers and avid readers, and we just started a new blog to talk about YA literature. It's not so much book reviews as talking about different issues, trends, etc. We are hoping to connect with real teen readers, and we would love to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @we heart ya: I appreciate your comment. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Hello. I want to hear from you:) Please take sometime to comment. I'll really appreciate it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...