Monday, January 9, 2012

Matilda by Roald Dahl

It's not my intention to but I find it interesting so I borrowed Matilda by Roald Dahl from a friend once she have brought it in our school. I said to myself, "Well, it's still not very awkward for me to read a children's book, right?" And as you might want to know, I really want to go back to my childhood and because it's very impossible, I'm doing things child-like. Actually, in the following weeks I'll be watching Disney on Ice. XD! Can't wait!!!

The Trunchbull is no match for Matilda! Who put superglue in Dad's hat? Was it really a ghost that made Mom tear out of the house? Matilda is a genius with idiot parents — and she's having a great time driving them crazy. But at school things are different. At school there's Miss Trunchbull, two hundred menacing pounds of kid-hating headmistress. Get rid of the Trunchbull and Matilda would be a hero. But that would take a superhuman genius, wouldn't it?
I haven't yet read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Dahl and they say that it's better than Matilda. Well, for me Matilda is a very nice children's book. It's fresh and full of wits. Matilda, especially, is exceptionally smart and can do telekinesis. Her parents ignore her and that's the most unwanted thing you want your parents to do to you. However, Matilda can manage and enjoy herself by making her parents crazy by putting superglue on his father's hat and more. 
I found myself laughing every time Matilda does something crazy that makes her parents jump and act childish. But the book is not just about making fun of people, it also discussed the problems of different people. It shows helping, caring and loving. But of course there's the Trunchbull to ruin everything. This headmistress is like an ex convict and turned to a school master the next morning. 
One thing that distracted me was the book seems to lose its momentum at the end of the book. The story becomes out of the nature of the book and becomes very predictable. But of course children will not know that. All they need is the fun of reading. 
The book has illustrations by Quentin Blake on almost every page. I found some of them ridiculous so I decided to share them with you. 
Look at how small Matilda is! The book is even higher than her! 

Ms. Trunchbull 

And Matilda and Ms. Honey live happily ever after. 

(Book 2 of 2012)


DISCLAIMER: Images used in this post are owned by the Ivanbookworm and blog. 

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...