Monday, January 16, 2012

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

There are some books that leave you to keep think about certain matters. About why the characters did that. About things that you have learned. About how beautiful the book is. I finished reading Perks at midnight and left me with those questions. To simply say, the book is one of those inspiring and beautiful read. 


Caught between trying to live his life and trying to run from it, Charlie is navigating through the strange worlds of love, drugs, "The Rocky Horror Picture Show", and dealing with the loss of a good friend and his favorite aunt.


I honestly don't know how will I be able to post an effective review for this one. This is always happening to me whenever I've read sometime worthy. I also learned so many things in this book that I will try my very best to apply it in my life.


First of all, as a growing teen-ager, I've been able to relate to Charlie. I hope I have a friend like Charlie. We all have gone through the times when we ask why and how things happen. It's a part of growing up. But there is a difference between growing up physically and growing up mentally. When was ask why and how things happen, what are their importance and why we should care about them, it's growing up mentally and that's the real deal. But when you just copy what the grown ups do and call yourself one, you never have grown up. You remain childlike. 


The novel was written in a series of letters from Charlie for someone who he doesn't know or met personally. He talks about his life and friends. Patrick, Sam, Mary Elizabeth, Craig and Brad. His family. These were the times we got to know Charlie and relate to his life even more. I know that not everyone can relate and that's normal. But for me, this book is something that grabs. 


It's full of thoughts and lessons. I already told you about one and here's another one. When the whole world seem to be against you and that no one is there to support you, keep hoping because it will be over soon. It will be. And friends. Yes we sometimes misunderstood them but they are actually a vital part in our growing up years. Without them we will not learn things that our parents and teachers don't want us to know. We will not be able to learn how to take risks and learn from it. 


But I don't understand Charlie why he always cry. I think it's part of his mental disorder that make him more emotional. 

Try to be a filter when reading. Do not just mind the character development and how grand the setting is. Mind also the thoughts that say something important. I'm not saying that development and setting is not important but they are just a part of the work, how about the other parts? We all should mind all the elements.  

Oh, I'm becoming wordy again. But that's it. That's what I think about this novel. I will certainly recommend this to everyone. I'm actually planning to give this to a friend that I know can relate to it very well. 

I heard that Perks was adapted to a motion picture and I can't wait to see it in the theaters. Especially that Emma Watson is Sam. I will definitely watch it. 

The top picture is a WIN!
(Book 3 of 2012)


LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...