Monday, January 23, 2012

Revenge of the Witch by Joseph Delaney

If you were to ask me what I prefer, day or night reading, I would choose night. Why? Because it's the time where everybody is sleeping and everything is at peace. I can focus more on what I'm reading when it is night time. You see, I'm very easy to be distracted. I don't want the noise of the day when I'm handling a book.

However, reading horror books at night time? Oh my, that should have a consideration for day time reading. I just finished The Last Apprentice: Revenge of the Witch by Joseph Delaney at exactly 12: 36am. Not to mention the scenarios like me looking over the window to see if someone is looking at me from the outside, me covering my whole body with a blanket to be "ungrabable" by ghost. Revenge of the Witch can make the horror out, but it seems there's a huge problem. here....

For years, Old Gregory has been the Spook for the county, ridding the local villages of evil. Now his time is coming to an end. But who will take over him? Twenty-nine apprentices have tried - some floundered, some fled, some failed to stay alive. 

Only Thomas Ward is left. He's the last hope, the last apprentice. 

This a good book. But it can be better. 

Turning the first pages of the book, I was very delighted of the characters, the setting and their life style. They live in a farm. There are only villages, no cities yet. Have I told you that when I moved out of our house, I want to live in a suburban and near the sea? Neh? Now you know. 

The first part of the book was engaging. I learned the difference between a ghast and a ghost. Some scenes are very familiar with today's horror tactics - like creaking woods, walking sounds, thuds. But the book told it in some ways that make you feel the creeps.  

The culture was also very rich. I don't know what's the basis of Joseph Delaney for this book, but the way of life, the job of a Spook and how a Spook work, it's all perfect. It makes its world real. It's not just "Okay, to defeat a witch you must let her eat her own apple." It's beautifully crafted.

But I have some serious problems with the book. 

The character development of Thomas Ward was so weak. Though there are some, I see Thomas what he was in the beginning as the same as what he was in the end. He's brave from the start. There were clear text evidences that he has a strong personality and desperate when needed. He's clever but sometimes not from beginning to end. I don't know but I just can't see a new Thomas - shaped and molded by the hardships he have been through. 

The book also lost its momentum at the end. The ending was so easy and predictable. One factor probably was the very obvious clues that make you already know what's going to happen. And the book as so wordy. More on explanations rather than action. Maybe 3/4 of the book was only explanations. If you will say that "Well, because we are not familiar with it so they should explain and that's why." Well, actions can also explain. And much more entertaining. 

I know many enjoyed this book. I also enjoyed it but for the sake of criticism, we cannot let our emotions override the facts. We view things differently. 

I would like to give a four-star rating but the ending really disappointed me so I think three-star is more reasonable. Well, three-stars doesn't mean bad at all. For me, three-starts means "good". 

Yes, yes, I will try to read the other books in the series. I still want to get goosebumps and mini-heart attacks when reading this at night. 

Happy Reading! 



IMPORTANT
Not-so-positive reviews are not personal attack to the authors. Reviews are purely made for the criticism of the book and are base on facts.
DISCLAIMER: Book photo is owned by Goodreads. 

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...