Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins


I finally finished the book yesterday. I should finished it last week but the school, can it be the Capitol of my life?, had its periodical exams and I need to prepare for it. So yesterday, not allowing anyone to disturb me in my bedroom, I finally arrived at 'the end' part of the book

Twenty-four are forced to enter. Only the winner survives.
In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. Each year, the districts are forced by the Capitol to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the Hunger Games, a brutal and terrifying fight to the death – televised for all of Panem to see.
Survival is second nature for sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who struggles to feed her mother and younger sister by secretly hunting and gathering beyond the fences of District 12. When Katniss steps in to take the place of her sister in the Hunger Games, she knows it may be her death sentence. If she is to survive, she must weigh survival against humanity and life against love.

I am so satisfied. My money worth buying the book, even though I only purchased the paperback one (you know, keeping my wallet inflated...hahaha!)

Katniss Everdeen, a hunter, clever, beautiful. The point of view of the book. It is really odd for a girl to be hunter. In ancient times, boys go hunting and girls go cooking; But who can blame Katniss if his father is dead and all of them left are girls. Of course you will do anything to live.

Peeta Mellark, the lover boy and also clever. But what him different to Katniss is that he is clever when it comes to planning, on how to fool the capitol and Katniss surviving what the Capitol set for her.
The book was set to the future of North America. After the war, they are called Panem, the nation who rises from the ruins of America. Panem is under the control of the Capitol. The governing body under totalitarian government. They divided the nation into 12 districts. These districts came up with a rebellion; But against the technological advancement of the Capitol, they are sure losers. As a punishment, the Hunger Games was born. Each district will offer two tributes for the game, and the game's main rule is to 'stay alive'.

It's cruel, full of violence that will cause you to pity the characters. Playing like puppets .
If I'm not wrong, this book can be called archetypal, first of its kind. I'm not pertaining to the genre of being dystopian but in the concept of the book. The games, the nation and the setting.
I will admit, I didn't sleep enough for the next day school just to go halfway of the book. That's how addictive it is.

I can also relate with Katniss and Peeta, not in their cleverness but their actions of not letting the Capitol to rule them. I'm the kind of person where I don't want somebody to be remote control. As long as I'm right, I control my self not the others. That is why (not to be boastful) onetime when my teacher confronted me of talking with my seatmate, I said "well, we are just discussing of what you said because the book said the total opposite of what you are teaching to us" I know I lost my respect but she goes on with her mouth speeding like a shuttle without asking.
I have also a favorite line in the book, the one saying I never underestimated my enemies but is also bad to oversmart them.
Rating: 5

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...