Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan


I'm weak in social studies that's all I can say. Especially to Greek Mythology. I feel out of place whenever my history teacher discusses about the gods, Zeus, Poseidon, Hades and many more. All I know is Poseidon is the Sea God, Zeus as the Sky God and Hades as the Underworld God. But I'm good at analysis and connecting things. I like analyzing things to find something.
This book by Rick Riordan put me in the plot. It teaches me the Greek mythology and I'm proud I able to answer some questions from the teacher. As well as it practice my analyzing habit. I'm very happy when I predict the outcome of some tricks of the book using the clues.
Percy Jackson is about to be kicked out of boarding school...again. And that's the least of his troubles. Lately, mythological monsters and the gods of Mount Olympus seem to be walking straight out of the pages of Percy's Greek mythology textbook and into his life. And worse, he's angered a few of them. Zeus' master lightning bolt has been stolen and Percy is the prime suspect. Now Percy and his friends have just ten days to find and return Zeus's stolen property and bring peace to a warring Mount Olympus. But to succeed to his quest, Percy will have to do more than catch the true thief: he must come to terms with the father who abandoned him; solve the riddle of the Oracle, which warns him of betrayal by a friend: and unravel the treachery more powerful than the gods themselves.
The characters of the book originated most in the Greek mythology. (A book that uses characters that are real known in the real world always catches my attention).  Percy, a boy diagnosed to have an ADHD is having troubles in academics. He always got kicked out of school due to his disorder, which is not really a disorder. He is the son of Poseidon so the bloodline of a god rushes in his veins. Making him attractable by monsters, causing him to do something bad and get kicked out. I really can relate my self to Percy. He is a very bad liar. He always wants to solve something only on his own and tell it when he know it. I'm that kind of person. I don't want a clue to leak. I want to solve it first. But he is friendly like I.

Annabeth and Grover are the friends/companion of Percy from the said quest said by the summary. They play a big role of developing Percy's character and making him more mature. I bet Percy will die soon in his quest without them. Annabeth is clever and brave gril being the daughter of Athena. Grover, a satyr, who always put the humor in the book.

The plot is so tricky. I can tell you that even my analyzing powers didn't work so much in this book. It is like a spell to me. The plot gives clue first before revealing the product and sometimes my predictions are wrong. Riordan is a very good writer having this tricky plot.

If you are not good in remembering things, like the clues, don't worry, the book will retell it before it reveal something, which is very helpful. At the first few chapters, my hands were glued at the book. Suspense on the first few chapters make me want to read more making the book a page turner. A lot of mysteries also which really uses your brain to feel the book.

I was very amazed at some settings of the book. I will tell you one setting. (Don't worry, this will not spoil the book) The Mount Olympus can be found at the 600th floor of the Empire State building. You can find it why if you read the book.

The writing is very simple, direct to the point which let all kind of readers understand it. All the thoughts are clear and well delivered. The book also has humor (who doesn't want humor?). Riordan can make something serious in a humorous one.

One of my favorite quote in the book is
"Even the Lord of the Death pay his debt"--Poseidon, this is very nice quote describing Hades. Even known for being the god of the Underworld, evil. He is still good as an angel. Actually he's not so bad in the novel.
Watch out of some books of Rick which I'm looking forward to read.
The Lost Hero (password: new hero)
The Red Pyramid
My Rating: 5 outstanding

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...